Beluga Lentil Broccoli Salad is a protein packed and fiber rich dish that is hearty and delicious.
Starting a new week of blogging marathon today and the theme for the next 3 days is 'Lentil Salads & Sides'. This has got to be one of my favorite themes. I love all legumes because they are our primary source of protein. They are very versatile and make any dish hearty and delicious. So first day, I have a delicious Beluga Lentil Broccoli Salad that is great to serve as a complete meal.I missed out in participating in the last Mega blogging marathon that had 'protein packed dishes' as its theme. I had planned on doing it but with the move I couldn't participate. There are so many vegetarian protein packed dishes that I have pinned that I would have loved to try a few of those recipes. That's why when I saw this theme I signed up right away.I bookmarked this Beluga lentil broccoli salad from Vegetarian times magazine long time ago. Finally got to make this for this week. These black lentils are called Beluga lentils because they look very similar to caviar. The good thing about these lentils is that they keep their shape even after cooking.This salad takes about 30 minutes to make if you have planned ahead and soaked the lentils overnight. It is best to soak lentils to remove phytates and make them more easily digestible. This salad is great to serve as a side dish or even as a light meal.
Vegan Beluga Lentil Broccoli Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 cup Black Beluga Lentils, soaked in water for 8 hours
- 1 Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Broccoli, cut into florets
- To taste Salt Pepper
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds
For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Agave Nectar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
Make the Salad:
- Drain and rinse the lentils. Place them in a medium saucepan along with 2cups water. Bring the water to a boil; lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15~18 minutes.
- Drain any extra water from the lentils and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Steam the broccoli until tender and add to the lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the thinly sliced red onion. Mix well.
Make the Dressing:
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Stir in the dressing into the lentil mixture, mix well. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and serve warm or at room temperature.