Blogging Marathon# 59: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Stuffed Dishes
Dish: Stuffed Bhindi Masala Curry
Recipe is from a Telugu cooking show. It looked like a show stopper and I noted it down in my book. As I was looking for dishes to make for this week, this one looked very tempting and luckily I was able to buy some nice looking okra too.
Okra/ bhindi are first sauteed until tender, then stuffed with the spice powder. When ready to eat, the stuffed bhindi are served along with a simple tomato gravy. This dish goes well with both rice and roti.
Stuffed Okra Curry
- 12 ~ 15 Okra Bhindi /
For the Spice powder:
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coriander seeds
- 2 ~ 3 chilies Dry red
- 1 tbsp coconut Dry grated
- 2 tbsps peanuts Roasted
For the Tomato gravy:
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green , slit
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili powder Red (adjust per taste)
- To taste Salt
- Make the Spice powder: Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry red chilies until fragrant. Add dry grated coconut and roast until lightly browned. Cool and grind along with the roasted peanuts until a coarse powder forms.
- Prep Okra: Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the okra/ bhindi and saute till tender, about 12~15 minutes. Remove from the pan and wait till cool enough to handle.
- Make a slit in the center of each okra making sure not to cut all the way through. Stuff with spice powder and set them aside.
- Make Tomato gravy: Heat the remaining 1tbsp oil in a pan, add onion, green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook till the onions are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato puree, turmeric, salt and red chili powder; cover and simmer for 6~8 minutes or until oil starts to separate around the edges.
- To Serve: Take the gravy in a serving bowl, add the stuffed okra and serve.