This spicy stuffed okra curry is an inviting and delicious dish. Okra is stuffed with a spice powder and then served with a lip smacking tomato gravy.
We love bhindi/ okra lovers in our home. My daughter can eat it every single day without complaining. So I am always looking for new okra recipes to try for the family. This recipe is from a Telugu cooking show.
Stuffed Okra Curry:
Okra is a tricky vegetable because the seeds inside the pods make them slimy and hard to work with. So it is best to wash and completely dry okra before doing anything.
Also to avoid the sliminess, okra is sauteed whole until tender. Then they are slit and stuffed with the spice powder.
Spice Powder for Okra:
Freshly made spice powder adds a ton of flavor to the dish. Dry roasting the spices makes them aromatic and delicious. Following ingredients go in the spice powder:
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Dry red chilies
- Dry grated coconut
- Roasted Peanuts – I always keep a container of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts in the pantry to use in recipes like this. But you can definitely use regular peanuts and dry roast them yourself.
Simple Tomato Gravy for the Okra Curry:
The stuffed okra is served with a simple tomato gravy made with handful of ingredients.
- Tomato puree
- Ginger+garlic paste
- Green chilies
- Chili powder
Stuffed Okra Curry
- 12 ~ 15 Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya
For the Spice powder:
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coriander seeds
- 2 ~ 3 Dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp Dry grated coconut
- 2 tbsps Roasted peanuts
For the Tomato gravy:
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, slit
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust per taste)
- To taste Salt
Make the Spice Powder:
- Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry red chilies until fragrant. Add dry grated coconut and roast until lightly browned. Cool and grind along with the roasted peanuts until a coarse powder forms.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the okra/ bhindi and saute till tender, about 12~15 minutes. Remove from the pan and wait till cool enough to handle.
- Make a slit in the center of each okra making sure not to cut all the way through. Stuff with spice powder and set them aside.
Make Tomato gravy:
- Heat the remaining 1tbsp oil in a pan, add onion, green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook till the onions are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato puree, turmeric, salt and red chili powder; cover and simmer for 6~8 minutes or until oil starts to separate around the edges.
- Take the gravy in a serving bowl, add the stuffed okra and serve with rice or roti.
- How to prep Okra – wash okra and drain completely. Lay the okra on kitchen towel and dry them off thoroughly. I usually leave them in a single layer on a kitchen towel for a few minutes and then wipe them dry.
- Make the tomato sauce/ gravy can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Okra needs to stuffed the same day the dish is being served.
How to Serve this Stuffed Okra Curry:
This delicious okra curry can be served with either rice or roti. Make the tomato sauce/ gravy can be made up to 2 days in advance. Okra needs to stuffed the same day. So plan the dish accordingly.
Serve this curry along with one of these yummy sides:
Check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 53.