Black Bean Burrito Buns are easy to make and can be served as a snack or a light meal. Store bought croissant rolls are stuffed with spicy, cheesy black bean and spinach filling.
Continuing with our Bake-a-thon series, this week I have some delicious savory bakes that are easy to make. First up are these Black bean Burrito ‘Buns’ that are easy peasy and absolutely delicious.
Last week was all about cookies and edible gifts for the holidays. So this week, I have some savory bakes that are great as appetizers or quick snacks during the holiday season.
Black Bean Burrito Buns:
After posting 3 sweet bakes last week – blondies, Mexican wedding cookies and Rugelach – I thought it is time for some savory bakes this week. These Black bean burrito buns came about when I realized I had 3 cans of crescent rolls in the fridge that needed to be used up. Recipe is from Pillsbury site.
Ingredients for the black bean burrito buns:
We love Mexican food in my home and these buns have all of our favorite ingredients and flavors. The bun itself is store bought crescent rolls. But you can also use biscuit or pizza crust to make these.
Stuffing is made with black beans flavored with ground cumin, oregano and chili powder. There’s grated cheese too, making it cheesy and delicious.
Quick Baked Burrito Buns:
Unlike a real ‘burrito’, where a tortilla is used to wrap the fillings, here the croissant dough is stuffed with the filling and baked. This makes a burrito ‘bun’ – that is both fun to make and delicious to eat. My Mexican food loving son enjoyed these with salsa and sour cream.
You can change up the fillings and use whatever leftover curries or side dishes you have in the fridge. I am thinking aloo (potato) curry or chickpea curry would taste amazing in this bun recipe. Just make sure that the fillings are on the dry side and not too gravy-ish. Make these smaller and you have cute little appetizers.
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon.
Black Bean Burrito Bun
- 1 Crescent Roll Tube
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups Spinach, chopped
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 cup Cooked Black beans
- To taste Salt Pepper
- ½ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oil in a pan; add the onion, garlic and cook till the onions are transparent.
- Add the spinach, ground cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook till the greens are wilted, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add the black beans and cook for another 3~4 minutes. Check the seasoning and turn off the heat. Add the grated cheese and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Open the tube of crescent rolls. Press the perforations to seal. Divide the dough into equal quarters.
- Place 3~4tbsp filling in the center of the dough. Bring one side of the rectangle over the filling and roll up. Press the sides to seal and place them seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15~18 minutes or until the buns are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm with salsa and sour cream.