BM# 73: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Ingredient through Mail
Dish: Black & White Rice Pudding
For the final day of cooking with ingredients from fellow blogging marathoners, I made this creamy and delicious Black & White Rice pudding with the black rice that I got from Mir. I actually wanted to make this dish for ‘Milk based desserts’ theme last month.
This recipe is from Food and Wine site and I bookmarked it to try. Thanks to Mir for the black rice from Thailand. This dessert is made with layers of black rice and jasmine rice puddings. Both the puddings are cooked with coconut milk, that makes it very creamy and delicious.In the original recipe, jasmine rice pudding had fresh pineapple pieces added. But I didn’t have any pineapple, so flavored it with orange zest and some chopped orange instead. I think other fruits like berries, especially strawberries would be really good in here.It is quite a pretty looking dessert with all that layering. It is a great make ahead dessert for parties. Any leftover rice pudding(s) would be great as breakfast with chopped fruit. It tastes amazing served at room temperature or even chilled.
Black & White Rice Pudding
For the Black Rice Pudding:
- ½ cup black rice
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the Jasmine Rice Pudding:
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1¼ cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange zest
- Pinch of nutmeg
- As needed Fruits of choice like chopped pineapple, mango, strawberries etc.
Make the Black Rice Pudding:
- Combine black rice and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 10~12 minutes or until the rice is completely tender.
- Add the sugar and vanilla. Mix well and turn off the heat and the pudding cool completely.
Make the Jasmine Rice Pudding:
- Combine jasmine rice and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Add 1cup of coconut milk and sugar; simmer for 10~12 minutes or until the rice is completely tender and pudding like.
- Stir in the orange zest, nutmeg and the remaining ¼cup of coconut milk. Let the jasmine rice pudding cool to room temperature.
- Add the chopped fruit to the jasmine rice pudding.
- Layer the puddings in serving glasses, alternating the black rice and jasmine rice puddings. Serve at room temperature or chilled.