I signed up for Vegan Mofo – Vegan Month of Food event being hosted by Isa of The Post Punk Kitchen. The idea is to write about vegan food in the month of October, so I’m trying to do my best to post my vegan creations everyday (or at least 20 times) this month.
Bottle Gourd Masala Curry
- 2 Onion – medium, (1 chopped fine, 1 coarsely chopped)
- 4 Chilies Green
- 1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp fenugreek Ground (Menthi podi)
- ½ tsp Pepper Ground
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds Ground
- to taste Salt
- Add salt to the chopped bottle gourd pieces, cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, heat 1 tsp oil and sauté coarsely chopped onion and green chilies until translucent. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle, grind into a smooth paste.
- After 15 minutes, rinse the pieces with water, squeeze out the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan; add the finely chopped onions and sauté till lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the bottle gourd pieces; cover and cook on medium low flame until the pieces are ¾ cooked, about 10, 15 minutes.
- At this point add all the other ingredients, tamarind and all the powders, salt; mix well; cover and cook until the bottlegourd is completely cooked, another 5-10 minutes. Add water if the gravy seems to be too thick.
- Serve with steamed rice and dal.