Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is cheesy and yummy. It is great to make as side dish for the holidays.
Here’s my second savory bake for the Bake-a-thon series. This broccoli cauliflower casserole is cheesy and absolutely delicious. It’s a great dish to make for the holidays especially since it can be prepped ahead of time and baked just before serving.
My daughter is a big fan of broccoli whereas my son wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. I buy the bag of broccoli florets from Costco almost every other week. Our absolute favorite way to eat broccoli is simply roast it with some olive oil, salt and pepper. But I think this casserole comes close second to that.This recipe is from Pioneer Woman. Broccoli and cauliflower are steamed until fork tender. Make sure they don’t get mushy – that will destroy the final texture of the casserole. Then the cooked florets are doused with cheese sauce, grated cheese, crunchy topping and baked until bubbly and golden.
What I liked about the cheese sauce is that it is not make with milk like bechamel sauce. It is made with veggie broth which gives the sauce a nice flavor in the background. It’s thickened with cream cheese to get a nice creamy sauce. I used low fat cream cheese and it worked great.My favorite part is the crunchy topping. In the original recipe, Ree used seasoning bread crumbs but I used store bought fried onions. OMG, that topping is just amazing – you definitely have to give that a try. All in all, it’s a relatively healthy dish that has a few indulgent ingredients – perfect for the holiday season.
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon.
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- 2 cups Broccoli florets
- 2 cups Cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese, softened
- ¼ tsp paprika
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ cup Fried Onions, crushed
- Steam or microwave broccoli and cauliflower until fork tender. Drain and keep aside.
- Melt butter in a pan; add onions and garlic and cook till onions are translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the all purpose flour and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the broth and cook on medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Cook till the mixture thickens.
- Lower the heat and add the cream cheese, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Keep the sauce warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add half of the broccoli-cauliflower mixture into the baking dish. Top it with half of the cheese sauce and grated cheese. Add the remaining veggies, cheese sauce and cheese. Sprinkle with the fried onions. Bake for 18~22 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.