Blogging Marathon# 38: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Soup or Salad with Sides
Dish: Broccoli Cheese Soup in Bread Bowl
Today I have a very hearty and creamy broccoli soup served in a bread bowl for Blogging marathon. Soup is another dish I would not order when we eat outside. I consider it more of an appetizer and not real food 🙂
I do order broccoli-cheese soup once in a while just because I like it. I have tried it at a few places and except for a couple of restaurants, the soup is usually overpowered by the cheese or the cream. Usually broccoli is the last flavor that you taste.
Recently I got America’s Test Kitchen newsletter with the recipe for Broccoli-cheese soup. The experts at ATK say overcooking the broccoli brings out all the flavor out of it and adding baking soda to the cooking water speeds up the cooking process. They also add some spinach which brightens the soup’s bright-green color and enhances its vegetable flavor. Finally adding the cheddar and parmesan gave the soup the cheesy flavor without making it heavy.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups Broccoli - cut into florets
- 1 Onion - medium, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1½ tsps mustard Dry powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne chili powder / red (adjust as per taste)
- 2 cups vegetable broth Bouillon cube of or a (I use no-salt added, vegan bouillon)
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Spinach Baby (I used ½cup frozen spinach)
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese Sharp - grated
- 2 tbsps Parmesan Cheese - grated
- to taste Salt
- Heat 2tbsp butter in a medium saucepan, add onion, garlic, chopped broccoli, dry mustard powder, cayenne and salt. Cook on medium-high flame, stirring constantly, until it starts to smell fragrant.
- Add 1cup water and baking soda. Bring the mixture to a boil; lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15~20 minutes until broccoli is soft.
- Add 2cups of water and the bouillon cube (or just add 2 cups of vegetable broth). Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the spinach. Cook until the greens wilt, about 1~2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheeses. Blend the soup either using immersion blender or regular blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and bring to a simmer. Serve immediately.