Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Meal Ideas
Dish: Brown Rice Bowl
This is a balanced meal with carbs, protein & veggies all served in one bowl. The list of ingredients is quite long but most well equipped kitchens will have all of the ingredients or a quick trip to the grocery store will do the trick.
The highlight of the dish is the crispy tofu. Tofu is drenched in cornstarch and cornmeal and then shallow fried until crispy. This adds a nice crispy touch to the dish. Do try this wholesome rice bowl for a filling and delicious meal.
Recipe is from ‘Americas’s Test Kitchen’:
Brown Rice Bowl with Tofu & Veggies
- 1 cup Brown Rice
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsps Rice Vinegar
- 3 tbsps Mirin
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Ginger , freshly grated
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lime
For Crispy Tofu:
- 1 14 oz firm Tofu . Extra , drained and pressed
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 2 tbsps Cornmeal
- 3 ~ 4 Radishes , thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado , pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 Cucumber Medium , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Scallions
- Nori As needed Toasted sheets, crumbled (optional)
- Cook Rice: Bring brown rice and 2~2½cups of water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 25~30 minutes or until rice is tender. Let rice stand for 5~10 minutes.
- Make the Dressing: In the meantime, bring rice vinegar, mirin and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Add 3tbsp of the vinegar mixture to the rice and mix well. Allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In the remaining vinegar mixture, add ¼tsp each of orange and lime zests, 2tsp each of orange and lime juices. Reserve this dressing for serving.
- Prepare Tofu: Cut the tofu into ¾" thick slabs, then slice each slab into fingers.
- Whisk cornstarch, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Working with a few pieces at a time, coat tofu thoroughly with cornstarch mixture, pressing to help it adhere.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the coated tofu and cook until crisp and lightly golden on all sides, about 10~12 minutes.
- Divide the rice evenly between 4 serving bowls and sprinkle with crumbled nori.
- Top with tofu, radishes, avocado and cucumber.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions and drizzle with reserved dressing.