I picked up a butternut squash (Thiyya Gummadikaya in Telugu or Sweet pumpkin) from the farmer’s market last week without any particular recipe in mind. I have never cooked with butternut squash before and had to ask my mom for a quick curry recipe and to my surprise both my husband and I loved it.
Pic Updated March 2013
Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 lb Butternut squash . - makes about 2 cups chopped
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 3 chilies Green
- 3 chilies Red
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 Curry leaves
- pinch Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- Place the chopped squash pieces with 1/2 cup of water and turmeric in a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for about 8-10 minutes, until the pieces are fork tender. You can also boil the pieces on stove top.
- In heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, add urad dal, mustard and cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves. When the seeds splutter, add squash and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tamarind paste and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook on medium low flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Add sambar powder and salt, cook for another 2-3 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice.