This queso dip made with butternut squash will be a yummy addition to your super bowl party menu. It is secretly healthy with the addition of squash and sports two-thirds less fat than the classic queso (or cheese) dip.
I was skeptical about the taste because I was expecting a very strong squash taste, but I was pleasantly surprised on how creamy and delicious this dip turned out. It doesn’t have the tell tale taste of the squash, I think adding the chipotle chili really helps with its smokiness. Serve with some nacho tortilla chips and veggies for dipping.
Butternut Queso Fundido
- 1 Butternut squash Small
- 1 Red Onion Medium , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Chipotle chile adobo sauce plus 1tsp
- 1 tbsp Flour
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese Part-skim , grated
- ¼4 cups cheese Mexican cheese Reduced fat blend, divided
- 4 Radishes , thinly slices
- 2 Green Onions , thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno , thinly sliced
- To taste Salt
- Prep the Butternut squash: Cut the squash into half and remove the seeds. Place it cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30~35 minutes or until very tender. Cool slightly and puree the flesh.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a medium cast iron pan, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock, squash puree, chipotle and salt; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add 3tbsp each of mozzarella and Mexican cheeses; cook for 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring until cheese melts.
- Now preheat the broiler to heat.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1tbsp cheeses over the op and broil for 1~2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top with radishes, cilantro, green onions and jalapeno. Serve with chips and enjoy!!