For day 3 of BM# 22, Cooking with Chickpeas, I have a dish that uses Chana dal, Senagapappu (in telugu). My mom made this curry with cabbage, but this can be made with green beans, cluster beans or even spinach. A very healthy and delicious side dish for rice or roti.
Cabbage-Chana dal Curry
- 4 cups Cabbage - finely chopped
- ½ cup Chana dal
- 3 chilies Green - slit
- 2 tbsps Coconut , grated (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies Dry red
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Pressure cook chana dal for 1-2 whistles or until cooked but still intact (dal should not turn mushy for a dry curry). Keep aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan, add the seeds and once they start to splutter add the green chilies and cabbage. Cover and cook until cabbage is cooked through and tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Next add the cooked dal, grated coconut and salt. Cook for another minute and serve.