BM# 75: A-Z Bake Around the World: Day 17
Bake of the Day: Q for Quiche
My first thought for the letter Q was to make something that starts with ‘Q’ — so it would have been quick bread or quick pizza or something on those lines. Then I saw a Quiche recipe in Vegan Brunch cookbook and the light bulb went off. So here it is a Quiche that is 100% vegan for the letter Q.Quiche is like a deep dish savory pie because it has a pastry crust that is filled with a egg based custard along with vegetables, meat or cheese. It can be served hot or at room temperature. It is part of French cuisine.
I already have 2 dishes from France (Fougasse & Galette), so I asked Valli if she would relax the rule of baking only 2 dishes from 1 country. The gracious host that she is, she said it’s OK to repeat 1 country for 3 dishes, which is all I wanted 🙂 So thanks to Valli, I have this delicious quiche for today.Quiche is traditionally made with a egg based custard. But in this vegan version tofu is used instead. The recipe also uses raw cashews that give the quiche creaminess that is usually associated with the traditional one. Bland tofu provides a nice blank canvas and wide variety of options to personalize this dish.
Broccoli flavored with herbs is a classic option. Replace broccoli with cauliflower and add finely diced red pepper and onion for another delicious option. I picked a classic caramelized onions and spinach filling for my quiche. Caramelized onions have now become my latest favorite — I have already used them in this galette and bialys recipes. This is great to serve with a simple salad to make a delicious meal.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75.
Caramelized Onion & Spinach Quiche
For the Pastry Crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat flour
- Large pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter/ margarine, chilled
- 5~6 tbsp Cold Water
For the Filling:
- 3 Medium Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 5~6 cups Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Fresh grated Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Raw, unsalted Cashews
- 1 14oz. Package of Extra firm Tofu, squeezed to remove water
- To taste Salt Pepper
Make the Pastry Crust:
- Sift the flours and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the cold butter and rub into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the pastry starts to hold together. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 3 days.
Make the Filling:
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan, add the onions and saute on medium flame, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden and caramelized.
- Stir in the garlic, dried thyme and cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook till the leaves are wilted. Turn off the heat and let the filling cool.
- In a blender or food processor, process the cashews until they form fine crumbs. Squeeze the water out of the tofu and add to the blender and process till very smooth. Add a tablespoon of water, if the mixture seems too thick.
- Add about ½cup of caramelized onions to the tofu mixture and pulse a few times to combine.
- Transfer the cashew mixture to a mixing bowl and add the cooled caramelized onions mixture. Taste the filling and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Make the Quiche:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pie dough from the oven and roll it out and transfer it into a 9" pie plate. Poke holes with fork to prevent it from puffing up. Bake for 10 minutes and remove it from the oven. Let cool.
- Once the crust is cool enough, add the tofu mixture and bake for 40~45 minutes or until the filling is set and the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven and set aside for at least 15~20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy warm.