I always wanted to buy a cast-iron skillet and I finally did. I bought a 10-inch Emerilware cast-iron skillet couple of weeks ago. It comes pre-seasoned, but the instructions recommend seasoning it before using anyway. So I religiously rinsed it with warm soapy water, dried with a paper towel, rubbed oil all over, and then popped it in a pre-heated and turned off 300°F oven. (I wish I could spend this much time on grooming myself) Once completely dry it was ready to be used.
I made home fries from Totally Vegetarian cookbook by Toni Fiore. This recipe is great for any meal, wholesome and filling.
Recipe adapted from Totally Vegetarian.
- 6 1 Potatoes ” – small, chopped into pieces (I used red skinned potatoes)
- 1 Onion – medium, chopped
- 1 Peppers – small, chopped (I used 1 each of mini red, yellow and orange peppers)
- 2 Garlic – minced fine
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Fresh – chopped fine
- 1 cup Kidney beans – (Black beans would be great too)
- to taste Salt pepper and
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the cast iron skillet on medium high heat, add 1 tbsp oil and when hot, but not smoking, add the potatoes, preferably in one layer. Don’t move them around at this point; leave them in the pan till the bottoms are crunchy and browned.
- Add onions, peppers, rosemary and garlic to the potatoes, mix and place the skillet in the oven. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until the onions are browned and peppers are tender.
- Add the beans to the potatoes and roast for another 5 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from the oven; season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.