Vegan and Gluten free Cauliflower Crust Pizza that is healthy and delicious.
I never thought I will be ever using healthy and pizza in the same sentence. But that’s exactly what this Cauliflower crust pizza is. The crust is made with cauliflower rice — fancy name for finely ground cauliflower. This pizza is vegan and gluten free.
I am always a year behind food trends. Cauliflower pizza crust has been around for quite a while now and I’ve finally got on the band wagon now. Some cauliflower crust recipes use eggs to bind the ingredients together. But this vegan version uses egg replacer mixture (or ground flax seed meal).Ground cauliflower is first baked to remove excess moisture which results in a more flavorful and toothsome crust. Arrowroot flour and tahini replace the eggs and help in binding the crust together. Brown rice flour adds a tiny bit of crunch to the crust. The result is a slightly crispy crust that is perfect for any of your favorite toppings.Since there is no flour or yeast, the crust does not rise. So it is important to roll out the dough to an even thickness. It is best to use some restraint when topping this thin crust pizza — less is more in this case. I used pesto instead of tomato sauce and then topped with baby spinach, sauteed mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes. Red onion would be great too, but I am not a big fan of raw onions.
This is one pizza that you won’t feel guilty eating like 4~5 slices. The more slices you eat, the more veggies you are consuming — right??? I would say that is almost like negative calories 🙂 🙂 🙂 Just kidding — try this cauliflower crust pizza — I am sure you will love it.This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2017.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- ½ Head of Cauliflower, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 2 tbsp Egg Replacer powder whisked in 6tbsp water (or use ¼cup of ground flaxseed meal)
- ¼ cup Brown Rice flour
- ¼ cup Arrowroot flour (I used tapioca flour)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¾ tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tahini
- To taste Salt Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until very small and rice like texture. Transfer to a bowl, add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and spread on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, toss halfway through cooking time and smoothing back out on baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, mix egg replacer mixture, brown rice flour, arrowroot flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the cooked cauliflower and mix well combine.
- Whisk tahini with 2tbsp water in a small bowl. Add this to the cauliflower mixture and form a compact ball.
- Place a parchment paper on the back of a baking sheet and lightly grease with cooking spray. Place the dough ball in the center of the sheet and cover it with another parchment paper. Press lightly to flatten, roll it with a rolling pin into a 9" circle.
- Peel off the top parchment and bake for 18~20 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned and crispy.
- Remove the pizza crust from the oven. Turn it on to another baking sheet to bake the other side. Top the crispy top with your favorite toppings and bake for another 5 minutes or until the toppings are bubbling and the bottom is crispy too. Serve hot and enjoy!!