For the last day of the marathon under the “Calcium Rich dishes” theme I made this decadent cheese cake flavored frozen yogurt. Yogurt and milk are great sources of Calcium.
Here’s the Calcium content of the ingredients used: Greek Yogurt (1 cup – 25% DV), 2% Milk (1 cup – 297mg), Mascarpone cheese (1 oz. – 3% DV).
There are a number of specialized stores that sell Frozen Yogurt propping up everywhere these days. Our latest family favorite is a “Cups“. They have self serve frozen yogurts in about 20 flavors and have ton of toppings to experiment with. I was surprised that my yogurt hating husband actually liked this frozen yogurt, because the fro yo (frozen yogurt) actually tastes sweet like an ice cream and less tart like a yogurt. And I had to agree with him, I eat yogurt, but personally I’m not a big fan of tart yogurt flavor and I feel yogurt smell is sometimes can be overpowering.
So when I wanted to recreate one of the frozen yogurt flavors that we had at Cups, I wanted to use slightly less yogurt, so the fro yo doesn’t taste too yogurty, but still has the goodness to yogurt. But if you don’t mind the tart yogurt flavor increase the yogurt content to 3cups and reduce cream to may be 1cup or even less.
Recipe adapted from here:
CheeseCake Frozen Yogurt
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt (I used full fat greek yogurt, but 2% is can also be used)
- 1½ cups Heavy Cream
- 2/3 cup Milk (I used 2% milk)
- 1 cup cheese Mascarpone (can be substituted with cream )
- 1½ cups Sugar (or adjust as per taste)
- 1½ tbsps Vanilla Extract Pure
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender to a smooth consistency. Alternately take all the ingredients in a medium size bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth with no lumps and the sugar is dissolved.
- Chill the mixture for couple of hours or overnight.
- Follow instructions of the ice cream maker and churn accordingly. Keep in mind, frozen yogurt gets done relatively quicker, about 18-20 minutes.