Blogging Marathon# 55: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Healthy Family Dinners
Dish: Cherry Tomato Kurma
I have been cooking a lot with cherry tomatoes lately like this cherry tomato pachadi or this cherry tomato & kale pasta. I make sure to keep some handy to make quick pasta sauces or toss into salads for a juicy bite.
Recipe for this kurma is from a Telugu cooking show. The original recipe had double the amount of cashews, coconut and poppy seeds used. But I lightened it up and used much less to make it a little more healthy, but without compromising on the taste. Addition of mint and cilantro makes the dish serve fresh and tasty.
I made a simple vegetable pulao with brown rice and it makes for a filling and delicious meal. It can be served with roti or paratha too.
Cherry Tomato Kurma
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green , slit
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 3 tbsp Cashews
- 2 tbsp coconut Dry grated
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 3 tbsps Yogurt , whisked
- ¼ cup Turmeric
- ½ tsp Chili powder Red (adjust as per taste)
- ½ tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsps Mint leaves , finely chopped
- 3 tbsps Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves
- 2 pods Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- to taste Salt
- Chop few of the tomatoes in half and make a slit in the remaining.
- Dry roast cashews, dry grated coconut and poppy seeds until lightly golden. Cool and grind to a smooth paste adding just enough water.
- Heat 2tbsp oil and 1tbsp butter in a pan, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds. Add onions, green chilies and ginger+garlic paste. Saute until onions turn lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the cashew-coconut paste, turmeric and salt. Cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Next add the cherry tomatoes and salt.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes start to burst and get tender, about 5~6 minutes.
- Next add the whisked yogurt, ground coriander, garam madala, chopped mint and cilantro. Cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice or roti. I served with brown rice pilaf.