BM# 73: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Valentine’s Day recipes
Dish: Hot Chocolate Affogato
After 2 non-chocolate Valentine’s day treats (Oat Pancakes and Pizza pinwheels), I thought it would be unfair to end this week’s marathon without a chocolate treat. So today I have an easy to make dessert called Hot Chocolate Affogato.
Affogato is an Italian coffee-based dessert. Affogato literally means ‘drowned’ in Italian. Traditionally it is made with by pouring a shot of hot espresso on a scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato — in other words drowning the ice cream. It can be considered a dessert or a drink or both.
This recipe is from Giada’s cooking show on Food Network. Unlike the traditional coffee version, this one is made with hot chocolate and is kid friendly. I knew my kids would love it the minute I saw her make it on the show. The only time consuming part of this recipe is making the hot chocolate which really takes about 10~15 minutes. Then all you have to do is scoop the vanilla ice cream into serving cups or glasses and pour the hot chocolate over it. Then you can top the whole thing with chocolate wafer cookies or candy canes.It is a great dessert/ drink to make for kid’s parties. Since it doesn’t take that long to put together, you can make and serve it right away. My kids thoroughly enjoyed this and I can see myself making it many more times.
- 2 cups Milk (I used a combination of whole and 1%, you can use 2% milk)
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 8~10 scoops of Ice Cream (flavor of choice)
- As needed Chocolate wafer cookies or candy canes, for topping (optional)
- In a small saucepan, gently warm milk over medium heat.
- When small bubbles start forming around the edges, add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and salt. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Turn off the heat.
- Scoop ice cream into serving cups. Pour in some of the hot chocolate over the ice cream and top with wafer cookies or candy canes, if desired. Serve immediately.