During our last weekend farmer’s market shopping, I bought these fresh organic cherries (they costed me a fortune, but hey, they are worth every penny). So after we devoured the sweet cherries, I decided to make Cherry-Chocolate bread, recipe courtesy Vegetarian times.
Following is the actual recipe.
- 0.25 oz . pkg yeast . (2 1/4tsp)
- 1/3 cup Sugar + 1tbsp
- 2 1/3 cups All purpose flour bread flour or
- 1/2 cup cocoa Unsweetened powder
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter - melted
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups Cherries - pitted
- Dissolve yeast and 1tbsp sugar to 1 cup of wam water. Let stand 5 miutes or until water is cloudy and smells yeasty.
- Sift remaining sugar, flour, cocoa and salt in a large bowl.
- Add yeast and water to flour and mix well with a wooden spoon till it forms a smooth dough.
- Fold in butter.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and knead 7 to 10minutes.
- Pat dough into 10" square. Place cherries and chocolate chips in the center, fold in sides like an envelope. Press edges to seal.
- Gently knead dough to evenly distribute chocolate and cherries throughout. Transfer to oiled bowl, cover and let rise 11/2 hours in warm place.
- Punch dough down and place on a well-floured work surface.
- Roll into thick log, then cut log into 16 equal rounds. Roll each round into a tight ball, and place on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set baking sheet in warm place, and let balls rise 30 to 45 minutes.