For Day 4 of the Blogging marathon, I have these sweet little cupcakes that I made for our picnic last weekend. These are rich chocolaty cupcakes with some oreo cookie frosting. I know I had to make these cupcakes when I saw the drool-worthy pictures on Kirbie’s cravings blog. I was very excited when my host told me later that the kids really enjoyed these cupcakes with the frosting ending up on all their faces. 🙂
I wanted to pipe the frosting neatly on the cupcakes, but as luck has it, I didn’t have any heavy cream in the fridge and by the time I ran to the store and bought, we were almost ready to go to the picnic. So I ended up smearing the frosting on the cupcakes. So make sure you have enough time to frost the cupcakes beautifully like Kirby did.
Here’s how I made these:
Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Frosting
- ¾ cup Bread flour
- 3 oz Unsweetened chocolate . - chopped
- 1/3 cup cocoa Dutch processed
- ¾ cup coffee Hot, strong-brewed - (or use ¾cup of hot water instead, but using is advisable since brings out the chocolate flavor better)
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 6 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp White Vinegar
For the Frosting:
- ½ pint Heavy cream - about 250 ml
- 3 - 4 tbsp sugar Confectioners
- 6 Oreo cookies
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 12 Oreo Cookies , for - topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the muffin baking tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chopped chocolate and cocoa. Pour the hot coffee/ water and mix well until smooth. Set aside to cool completely or refrigerate to cool. I set it aside for about 15-20 minutes on the counter.
- In the meantime get all the other ingredients together for the cake batter. Whisk bread flour, salt, sugar and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together oil, eggs and vanilla. Pour this mixture on to the cooled chocolate and mix well.
- Finally add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin pan, pouring to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 17 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out only with very few crumbs.
- Remove from the muffin pan after 5 minutes and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting: Blend the oreo cookies in a food processor into very fine powder, make sure that there are no pieces visible. Whip the heavy cream with confectioners sugar in a stand mixer with whip attachment or with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla and the oreo cookie powder, mix very gently to incorporate.
- Put the frosting in a piping bag with a decorative tip and pipe on to the cupcakes (or if you are like me just smear using a spatula or bread knife).
- Decorate with extra oreo cookies on top.