My second recipe for #Choctoberfest is this absolutely delicious and crunchy Chocolate Granola. I had another chocolate recipe planned for today, but then changed my mind when I saw my almost empty granola container. I decided to make granola with chocolate and Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil.Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil is the the perfect butter substitute with all the health benefits of coconut oil. It can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter or vegetable oils in baking. This will be a great addition to any of the delicious chocolate baking recipes you might have up your sleeve.
I love granola for breakfast and for snacking. I usually eat it with Greek yogurt and fruit or with almond milk for breakfast. Then I snack on it by the fistfuls in the afternoon 🙂 My kids are big fans of cocoa puffs cereal, so when I saw this granola recipe on Minimalist Baker, I knew I had to give it a try.I already have a chocolate granola recipe on my blog but this one is slightly different in texture. I like granola with nice clumps and there are recipes that use egg whites to get them. But I liked this easy peasy idea of pulsing everything in the food processor to get the same effect — AND it’s vegan too.One of my favorite ingredient in granola is pecans. So I included them in this recipe along with almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes and chia seeds. I also like to add dry fruit to my granola — here raisins and dried cranberries did the job. This vegan chocolate granola is packed with good fats, fiber and lots of delicious ingredients.
It is great to serve with some almond milk (any milk of your choice) or sprinkled over some Greek yogurt topped with bananas and strawberries. But if you are like me, have it by the fistfuls when huger strikes at 3:00 in the afternoon 🙂
[inlinkz_linkup id=743275 mode=1]
- 3 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Mixed Nuts (I used a combination of pecans and almonds)
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Coconut flakes or Shredded dry coconut
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 3 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup Coconut oil (I used Barlean's butter flavored coconut oil)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup Cacoa Nibs/ Chocolate chips/ dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut oil and maple syrup. Cook on low heat until the oil is melted into the maple syrup. Turn off the heat and keep ready.
- Combine oats, nuts, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, chia seeds, sugar and salt in a food processor (or a large mixing bowl) and pulse until combined.
- Stir in the melted coconut oil mixture and pulse for a few times to mix all the ingredients together. Using the food processor makes the ingredients smaller and stick together.
- Transfer the oats mixture onto a baking sheet and bake for 20~24 minutes or until the granola is crispy and crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the dried fruit (if using). Let it cool for a minute and then add the cacao nibs and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.