Blogging Marathon# 57: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Cooking with Whole grains
Dish: Chocolate Malted Muffins
I usually substitute some of the all purpose flour with wholewheat flour and wholewheat pastry flour to add some whole grains and fiber to my bakes. I have also used barley flour in a strawberry cake but this recipe uses 1 cup barley flour and is the main ingredient for this muffin.
Recipe is from ‘King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking‘ and as I mentioned earlier uses barley flour, wholewheat flour and malted milk powder. I had some malted milk powder that needed to be used and this was the perfect to use it in. This muffin highlights the malted milk flavor by combining malted milk powder with barley flour and whole wheat. Malt is also made from barley flour and is a natural fit in this recipe.
Ingredients: Makes 14 muffins or dozen muffins + small bread loaf
Chocolate Malted Muffins
- 1 cup Barley flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat flour
- ½ cup Bread flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Light - , packed
- ¾ cup Cocoa Unsweetened powder
- ¼ cup Milk Malted powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter - (4tbsp), melted
- 1¼ cups Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs - large (or 2tbsp of egg replacer whisked in 6tbsp water)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips - (optional)
For the Glaze:
- 5 tbsp Brown sugar Light
- 2 tbsp Milk Malted powder
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Unsweetened powder
- 1 tbsp Corn syrup
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or line a standard muffin pan with cupcake wrappers and grease them lightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, malted milk powder and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs (egg replacer mixture) and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pans and bake for 25~30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make the Glaze: Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat and drizzle over the tops of the cooled muffins.