Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes from Fellow BM Bloggers
Dish: Coconut & Tamarind Rice
Tamarind rice is one of the dishes that is made very frequently in my household, typically around the end of the week when I’m running out of veggies and also during festival season. Both my kids love peanuts, so I had a little extra for them in this dish.
Recipe from Priya’s recipe:
Coconut & Tamarind Rice
For the Coconut Tamarind Paste:
- ¾ cup Coconut Fresh , grated
- 3 tbsps Tamarind pulp
- 3 ~ 5 Chilies Green
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
For the Rice:
- ¼ cup Sesame oil Gingely or Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Asafoetida Hing or
- To taste Salt
- 1 cup Rice Cooked (I use Sona Masoori)
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 8 ~ 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 chilies Dry red
- 1 tbsp Cashews Peanuts Each of &
- 2 tsps Chana Dal
- 4 ~ 5 tbsps Coconut Tamarind - Mix (from above)
- Make the Coconut-Tamarind Spice paste: Grind coconut, tamarind, green chilies and coriander seeds to a smooth paste adding just enough water to get the blender going.
- Heat ¼cup gingely oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Once the seeds start to pop, add the ground paste and cook till the rawness cooks off. Add salt and mix well and cook till the oil starts to separate around the edges, takes about 10~15 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool completely and store in an air-tight container for upto 3 days.
- To make the Rice: Cook rice making sure that the grains are separate. Spread on a plate to cool.
- In a small pan, heat 1tsp gingelly oil, add chana dal, red chilies, curry leaves, peanuts and cashews. Once the seeds start to turn golden, pour it over the rice.
- Add the coconut-tamarind mix and mix gently with the rice. Taste and adjust the salt.