Blogging Marathon# 35: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Cooking with Corn
Dish: Corn & Kidney beans Pulao
After using sweet corn in this uggani and baby corn in this masala curry, I’m combining both of these corns in a rice dish today. Recipe idea is from a Telugu cooking show. Original recipe used baby corn and rajma (red kidney beans), but I put some sweet corn that I had in the fridge.
If you have cooked rice and beans on hand, this dish takes literally minutes to complete. I made this for my lunch today. I had very little time to cook before I had to go pick my daughter from her play school. As I said this is a super quick dish to make if you have everything ready. I was able to cook, click and then go pick my daughter right on time.
It is very lightly spiced with just green chilies and a little bit of garam masala. But feel free to make it spicy by adding red chili powder and other spice powders. I used brown basmati rice because that’s what I had in the fridge, but white basmati would be equally delicious.
Corn & Rajma Pulao
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (I used brown basmati rice)
- 8 ~ 10 , 1 Baby corn " - cut into pieces (if using fresh, boil until tender)
- ½ cup Sweet corn (boil if corn is too tough)
- ½ cup Red kidney beans , cooked (rinse & drain if using canned beans)
- 1 Onion - medium, chopped
- 3 chilies Green (adjust as per taste)
- ½ tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- to taste Salt
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan; add bay leaves, onions and green chilies. Cook until onions start to get lightly browned around the edges.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Next add baby corn, sweet corn and beans. Cook on medium flame for 3~4 minutes.
- Add turmeric, garam masala and yogurt, mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add rice and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 3~4 minutes. Serve hot.