Blogging Marathon # 26: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Pick 1 ingredient and Cook from 3 books – Breakfast Combo
Dish: Corn & Scallion Pancakes
When I started looking for breakfast dishes with corn, most of the recipes used cornmeal instead of whole corn. I found this savory corn pancakes recipe in the King Arthur Flour catalog. These can be served for breakfast or even brunch with black bean salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
Corn & Scallion Pancakes
For the Pancakes:
- ½ cup Sourdough Starter - (No sourdough starter, then add ½cup more flour and more milk to get the pancake consistency)
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat Pastry flour
- 1 cup Milk (Dairy/ Non-dairy) - (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg egg Replacer for large (I used Ener-G replacer)
- 1 cup Corn - (fresh/ thawed if frozen)
- ¾ cup Scallions - (both green and white parts chopped)
For the Black bean Salad:
- 1 16 oz Black beans - . can, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tomato - medium, seeded and diced
- 1 Red onion - small, finely diced
- 1 Avocado - small, diced
- 1 Jalapeno - small, diced
- 1 tsp Red wine vinegar
- to taste Hot Sauce
- to taste Salt
- Sour cream - for garnish (optional)
- To make the Pancakes: Combine the sourdough starter, flours and milk in a bowl; set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add oil, baking soda, salt and egg replacer and stir until well combined. Fold in the corn and scallions.
- Heat a griddle or a pan over medium heat. Lightly grease the pan, then scoop a ladleful of batter onto the pan. Cook until the surface bubbles and edges are slightly dry, flip and cook on the other side until bottom is golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the Salad: Combine all the ingredients and set aside for at least 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- To Serve: Scoop 1tbsp of the salad and 1tsp sour cream (if using) onto each warm pancake. Serve hot or at room temperature.