Blogging Marathon# 26: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Soups & Salads
Dish: Cream of Vegetable — Cream of Mushroom Soup
For the 3rd day of blogging marathon with ‘Cream of Vegetable‘ being the star ingredient, I made Cream of Mushroom soup. But the creamy consistency for the dish actually comes from pureed cauliflower. I thought using pureed cauliflower instead of cream or other thickening agents in a soup is a genius idea!! Don’t you think?? It’s not my idea though, I found this amazing vegan cream of mushroom soup here and absolutely loved the idea.
I added some fat free half-and-half that needed to be used up instead of non-dairy milk and hence this is not a vegan recipe. Also instead of cauliflower I used broccoliflower which is a hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. Other than that I followed the recipe to the ‘T’ and this soup is super creamy and hearty, perfect for the chilly weather.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1½ cups Button Mushrooms White - finely chopped
- 1 Onion - small, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - finely minced
- 1 tsp thyme Dried
- 2 cups Cauliflower (or broccoliflower) - cut into florets
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- to taste Salt Pepper and
- Prepare the Cauliflower Puree: Combine the cauliflower florets with the liquid, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the florets are very tender, about 10-12 minutes. Then puree the mixture either with an immersion blender or a food processor.
- For the Mushrooms: In the meantime, heat 1tsp oil in a sauce pan; add onion, finely chopped mushrooms, dried thyme and garlic cloves, saute till onions start turning lightly golden around the edges and the mushrooms are completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes
- Add the cauliflower puree to the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle and soup to thicken. Serve warm!!