Blogging Marathon# 54: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Vegetarian Italian dishes
Dish: Creamy Pesto Pasta
I made this creamy pesto pasta for dinner one day and since I wasn’t sure if the kids would like it, I made them something else too. But my son declared that pesto sauce is his second favorite pasta sauce right after marinara sauce. Then my little one tried a little bit and wanted to eat it for her dinner too. So the kids ate most of the pasta and the adults ended up eating what I made for the kids.
Pesto is usually mixed with pasta and served. This is a richer and creamier version with heavy cream and butter. It is quick and easy dish that is fancy enough to feed company or picky kids.
Creamy Pesto Pasta
- 8 oz Pasta Short cut (Penne, rotini, elbows or any short cut pasta)
- 1 cup Basil
- 3 tbsps Pine nuts walnuts nuts Toasted , cans be substituted with or other
- 2 cloves Garlic , peeled and crushed
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese pasta +more for the , grated
- 3 ~ 4 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- ¼ ~ ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- ½ cup Cherry tomatoes , halved (or 2 medium tomatoes diced)
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve a cup of pasta cooking water.
- In the meantime, in a food processor combine basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Pulse a few times to blend the ingredients. With the machine running, drizzle olive oil until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat the butter and heavy cream over medium-low flame. Stir in pesto, whisk to combine and turn off the heat. Add the cooked pasta, chopped tomatoes and additional grated cheese and mix well. Serve immediately.