BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 25
Theme of Week 5: Fruit based Desserts
Dish: Strawberry and Mascarpone Granita
Granita is an Italian dessert that is partially frozen and is traditionally made with sugar, water and flavored with fresh fruit or other flavoring ingredients. Traditional flavoring ingredients include lemon juice, oranges, coffee, mint, strawberries and chocolate.
I made this with juicy summer strawberries couple of months back. Mascarpone cheese is an unusual ingredient in a granita. It makes it creamy and delicious. This strawberry granita is refreshing and light, perfect to make as dessert any time of the year but especially good in summers.
I have stopped taking horizontal photos for some time now. But for some reason I wanted to take a horizontal for this setup. Let me know what you guys think.
Creamy Strawberry and Mascarpone Granita
- 3 cups Strawberries Fresh (2cups chopped and 1cup finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves , chopped
- 1/2 cup Sugar +1tbsp
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cheese Mascarpone
- Pinch Salt of
- In a small pan, combine water, 1/2cup sugar and mint; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. Let simmer over low heat to steep the mint. Strain the mint from the simple syrup. Discard the mint.
- Combine 2cups of chopped strawberries with remaining 1tbsp of sugar in a food processor. Puree the strawberries.
- Add mascarpone cheese, lemon juice and salt. Run the machine until the cjeese is completely incorporated.
- Add the mint simple syrup and process to combine.
- Place the strawberry mixture in an 8" glass dish and place the dish in the freezer.
- The mixture will take about 4 hours to freeze.
- When ready to serve, use a fork to scrape the granita. Spoon the mixture into serving bowls and top with the finely chopped strawberries and serve immediately.