For Day 2 of BM# 24 under the theme for Kids Delight – Lunchbox Meals, I made this creamy tomato soup with egg noodles. This soup is perfect when eaten hot in this chilly weather, but it tastes equally good when eaten at room temperature. So I thought it is perfect for my 5 year old’s lunch box.
This is one of Rachael Ray’s recipe that I watched on TV recently. The minute she put those delicious egg noodles on the soup, I knew I was going to make this dish very soon. All of you egg eaters, definitely make the noodles with the soup to enjoy this dish completely. But even without the noodles, the soup is very flavorful, creamy and filling.
Rachael Ray made her soup with Italian flavors, thyme and basil. I made it Indian by adding some Kitchen King masala, garam masala and chopped coriander. What makes this soup creamy is the addition of bechamel sauce, butter and flour roux cooked with milk until thick. For a gluten free and quicker creamy version, add 1 cup of heavy cream.
Creamy Tomato Soup with Egg Noodles
For Tomato Soup:
- 1 Onion - small, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot - small, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely grated
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 14 oz . cans Tomatoes of Diced
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- 1 tsp Masala Kitchen King
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 3 tbsps Cilantro - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 cup Milk - (low fat is fine, I used 2% milk)
- to taste Salt Pepper &
For the Egg Noodles:
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 tbsp Milk
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Heat 2tsp oil in a soup pan; add onion, carrot and garlic cloves. Saute on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the veggies soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and tomato paste, cook for 2 minutes. Next add stock, diced tomatoes, red chili powder, kitchen king masala and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 20-25 minutes.
- Finally add the garam masala, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Puree the soup using immersion blender or regular blender. Return to the pot.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a small saucepan; add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the milk and mix until there are no lumps. Cook on medium flame until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the bechamel sauce to the soup and mix until combined.
- To make Egg Noodles: Whisk eggs along with milk, salt and pepper. Heat 1tsp oil in a 10" skillet and pour the egg mixture in a thin layer. Cook on medium low flame covered until cooked and set. Flip and cook for another 1 minute. Remove from the pan and let cool for 5 minutes. Roll the omelette and cut into thin ribbons to make the noodles.
- To Serve: Pour the soup into bowls and top with the egg noodles. Serve piping hot or at room temperature.