I soak brown rice before I leave for work and cook it after I come back in the evening; I found that the rice has a better texture this way.
Curried Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup Brown Rice – (I used brown basmati)
- ½ cup Red onion – finely chopped
- ½ cup Red pepper – finely diced
- 1 cup Chickpeas (½ of a 15 oz. can), rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup Cilantro – finely chopped
- ¼ cup Raisins
- 2 tbsps Almonds Sliced – toasted
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsps Lime juice (from one medium sized lime)
- 2 tbsps Agave nectar (original recipe used honey)
- 2 tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsps Curry powder (I used MTR brand curry powder)
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Cook brown rice and set aside in a wide bowl to cool. (I use 1:2 rice:water ratio-bring the mixture to a boil and simmer covered for 25-30minutes until all the water is absorbed and rice is completely cooked).
- Add all the other ingredients for the salad except for the toasted almonds to the rice and mix gently to combine. In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients listed under dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the rice and mix gently, taking care not to mush the grains. Garnish with toasted almonds and serve either at room temperature or chilled.