Today’s “Eggless Chocolate-Vanilla Cupcakes” are a result of contradicting requests from the kids. When you ask kids what flavor cupcake they want, half of them scream “VANILLA” and the other half want “CHOCOLATE”. But most of the time we only have time to make just one type of cupcakes and these two-in-one cupcakes seem to satisfy everyone.
Initially I wanted to make marble cupcakes, but the baby started to cry and I ended up adding the 2 vanilla & chocolate batters one top of the other for a double decker effect. If you want to make them fancier with marbled effect, then fill the cupcake liner with 2/3rds of either vanilla or chocolate batter, then add 2 tablespoons of the other batter. Use a toothpick to swirl and create the marble effect.
These cupcakes taste great just as is, but a dollop of simple whipped cream frosting makes it even more delicious. I added a touch of espresso powder to make a mocha flavored frosting, but you can leave it out or make any other flavored frosting like vanilla, lemon, orange etc. using your choice of extracts.
Eggless Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes with Mocha frosting
For the Cupcakes:
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsps Cocoa Unsweetened powder
- 1 cup Milk (I used Vanilla Soy milk, but any milk can be used)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar * (See Note)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract Pure
- 1 tsp Espresso powder (optional, but highly recommended)
For the Mocha Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Sugar Confectioners - , sifted
- 1 tsp Espresso powder
- To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift flour, salt and baking soda in a small mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar to milk in a mixing bowl and set aside. (If using buttermilk, skip this step).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk oil and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Next mix in the milk.
- Then slowly add the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined.
- Take half of the batter into a separate bowl and add unsweetened cocoa and espresso (if using), mix well.
- For no fuss double decker cupcakes: Add both the batters one on top of the other.
- For fancier Marbled effect cupcakes: Fill the cupcake liners 2/3rds full with either of the batters and then add 2tbsp of the other batter on the top. Using a toothpick swirl the batter on the top to create the marble effect.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove them onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: To easily whip cream, place a medium size bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients and whip until soft peaks form. Frost the cupcakes with a offset spatula or bread knife.