Blogging Marathon# 57: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Eggplant Dishes from here
Dish: Eggplant Parmesan
I have already posted a lighter version of eggplant parm with roasted eggplant and creamed spinach. Today’s recipe has all the components of the traditional Eggplant parmesan but is lighter on calories and it makes just 1 serving. So now I don’t have to make wait for a special occasion or party to make this dish, I can make it whenever I feel like it.
This recipe uses Japanese eggplants instead of the big globe variety. Japanese ones have thinner skin and bake up in much less time making it perfect to make on a weeknight. I used the eggplants from my garden and these beauties cook up even faster than the store bought ones.
Good thing about this recipe is you can increase the ingredients and make it for 1 or for many in just about the same time.
Recipe adapted from here:
Eggplant Parmesan for 1
- 2 ¼ Eggplant " Japanese - sliced into thick slices
- 3 tbsps Marinara Sauce Prepared , divided use (here's an easy recipe to make your own marinara sauce)
- 2 tbsp Ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese - , divided use
- 2 tbsp Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Panko Breadcrumbs
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a small shallow baking dish.
- Place the sliced eggplants on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 20~25 minutes or until they are tender and getting browned around the edges, flipping the pieces over around the midway point.
- In the meantime, you can either choose to make your own marinara sauce or not.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 2tbsp parmesan, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, remaining parmesan cheese, 2tsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the eggplants are ready, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- To Assemble: Spread 1tbsp of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking pan, followed by a layer of the roasted eggplant -- make sure to slightly overlap the pieces, 1tbsp of marinara sauce, half of the ricotta mixture and 1tbsp mozzarella. Now Repeat: roasted eggplant, marinara sauce, remaining ricotta and mozzarella.
- Loosely cover with foil and place the baking pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 15~18 minutes or until the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs on top. Bake for another 12~15 more minutes or until the topping is lightly browned. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before serving.