Blogging Marathon# 57: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Eggplant Dishes from here
Dish: Dahi Baingan
This is supposed to be Dahi Baingan from the list. This dish is made in Orissa and West Bengal. But this recipe is not the traditional way of preparing it. From what I have seen, traditionally eggplants are marinated in spices and deep fried, then cooked in a yogurt sauce.
This recipe is slightly different: eggplant is smeared with spices and broiled. Then served with a spinach flavored yogurt sauce or kadhi. This recipe is from Cooking Light way to cook vegetarian cookbook and I absolutely loved the dish.
Recipe from Cooking Light way to cook vegetarian cookbook:
Eggplant with Yogurt sauce (Dahi Baingan)
For the Eggplant:
- 6 ~ 8 ones or 1 ¼ Eggplants eggplant " - baby small globe , cut crosswise into slices
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Turmeric Ground
- ½ ~ 1 tsps Chili powder Red
- to taste Salt
For the Yogurt Sauce (Hariyali Kadhi):
- 1 Red Onion - medium, chopped
- ½ Ginger " - piece, grated
- 2 cloves Garlic - , minced
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 1 cup spinach Frozen - , thawed, drained and squeezed dry (or use 3~4cups fresh )
- 2 tbsp Chickpea flour Besan /
- 1 cup Yogurt
- to taste Salt
- ¼ tsp Chili powder Red
- 2 cloves Garlic - , thinly sliced
- For the Eggplant: Preheat the broiler on high. Place eggplant slices on a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, combine ground coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, salt and oil. Using the back of the spoon, spread a small amount of the mixture over 1 side of each eggplant slice. Broil 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the Yogurt Sauce/ Hariyali Kadhi: Heat 1tsp oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute till lightly browned around the edges. Add ginger, garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Next add the tomato and cook till mushy, about 3 minutes.
- Next add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes. At this stage, you can add water and simmer for a minute, then grind to a smooth paste. I like the chunky texture, so I left it like that.
- In a small bowl, whisk chickpea flour in 3tbsp water, ¼cup yogurt and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the spinach mixture along with remaining yogurt. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring frequently. Cover and remove from heat.
- For the Tempering: Heat 1tsp oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the tempering ingredients and saute till garlic turns lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- To Serve: Pour warm spinach sauce into a shallow serving dish, top with eggplant. Drizzle with the garlic mixture and serve with rice.