Blogging Marathon# 40: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Yeast Breads
Dish: English Muffin Bread
Today’s bread is very simple to make and needs only 1 rise, it can be made in less than 2 hours from start to finish. A great bread for newbies, not much kneading involved — mix up the ingredients, scoop into the baking pan and let rise, then bake it off to get a nice textured bread that is perfect when toasted and with some jam or chocolate hazelnut spread.
I enjoyed my bread with some spicy jalapeno flavored cream cheese.
English Muffin Bread
- 2 cups All purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (or use 3cups of AP flour)
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1½ tsps Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Milk (I used Soy milk)
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil Olive Oil /
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer.
- Combine milk, oil and water in a glass measuring cup and microwave it for 30~60 seconds or until an instant read thermometer reads between 120°F~130°F.
- Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Beat it on high speed for 1 minute, if doing by hand mix it well for 3~4 minutes. Dough will be quite sticky.
- Lightly grease a 8½"x4½" loaf pan and sprinkle with cornmeal (I used my 9"x5" loaf pan). Scoop the dough into the prepared pan. Cover the pan with a lightly greased plastic wrap or a shower cap. Set aside to rise in a warm place for 45mins~60mins or until the dough is about ¼" above the rim of the baking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the cover and bake the bread for 22~27 minutes or until its golden brown and the interior temperature is 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven and after 5 minutes turn it out onto a wire rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.