BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 5
Theme of the Week 2: Whole Grains in Salads
Dish: Farro, Chickpea & Feta Salad
Today I have another easy Farro Salad recipe with Farro, chickpeas and feta cheese. All the salads I chose for this week are very simple to make with just a few ingredients to let the whole grains be the star of the dish. This salad recipe is from Meatless cookbook.Farro aka emmer in some parts of the world, is a type of ancient grain that has been around for thousands of years. Nowadays, it is mostly used in Mediterranean, Ethiopian and Middle Eastern cuisines, where it has a very long history. But it is slowly staging a comeback as a gourmet specialty in parts of Italy and also in the US.
Farro looks very similar to wheat berries — it is a light brown grain with a visible bran. It is packed with fiber, vitamin B, zinc, iron and even a good dose of protein.I bought a small bag of ‘10 minute Farro‘ from Trader Joe’s, where the grains are pre-cooked, so all I had to do was boil for 10 minutes to cook it. But regular farro takes about 25~35 minutes to cook. Even after cooking, the grains are soft, but still crunchy.This Farro Salad is easy to put together and is hearty, filling and delicious. It is great to pack for lunch or picnics.
Farro, Chickpea & Feta Salad
- 1½ cups Farro
- 1½ cups Chickpeas Cooked
- ½ cup Grape Cherry tomatoes or , halved
- ½ cup Mint Fresh , chopped
- 3 tbsps Red Onion Finely chopped (optional)
- Feta cheese As needed,
- 1 ~ 2 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 3 tbsps Extra virgin Olive oil
- To taste Salt Pepper and
- Cook farro according to package directions or Combine farro and 2½cups of water in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20~30 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Cool Slightly.
To make Salad:
- Toss cooked farro with lemon juice while still warm.
- Add chickpeas, lemon zest and olive oil to farro and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in feta cheese, tomatoes, mint and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.