Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter F
Theme: A-Z Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: F for Firni/ Hyderabadi Phirni/ Firni
My daughter turns 1 today. Past 1 year flew so fast that I can’t even believe it’s time to celebrate her first birthday today. We are having a party with few of our dear friends and family.
What better way to celebrate my little ones birthday than this rich and creamy firni/ phirni. I saw the recipe for Mango phirni on Etv-Urdu channel and I knew right away that I had to make it for this A-Z series. The cook on tv used rice flour to make firni, but I used ground rice powder and it turned out great. It got thick and creamy as it sat in the refrigerator. An awesome make ahead dessert that is sure to please everyone in a party.
So let me leave you with some clicks of this yummy dessert, I have to get back to my daughter’s birthday party 🙂
- 2 cups Milk - (500ml) (I used a combination of whole milk & 1%)
- ¼ cup Basmati rice
- 2 - 3 tbsps Sugar (adjust per taste)
- 2 - 3 tbsps Condensed milk (optional)
- ¼ tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Rose Syrup (optional)**
- Wash, rinse and soak rice for at least 1 hour. Then grind to a sooji (semolina) or rawa like consistency.
- Mix rice with ¼cup milk and set aside.
- Bring the remaining milk and sugar to a boil whisking occasionally.
- Add the rice mixture to the boiling milk; cook on medium flame stirring frequently to avoid scorching until rice is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add condensed milk (if using) and ground cardamom, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add rose syrup (if using).
- Pour into serving bowls and chill completely, for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- ** Reduce the amount of sugar used if adding Rose syrup.