For Day 2 of BM# 16 I made this healthy and delicious 5-grain cereal with dried fruits. We just came back from our vacation to Disney World in Orlando, Florida and I can’t seem to forget the oats that I ate for breakfast in the resort for almost everyday. It was just simple cooked oats and they would add your favorite toppings on it — either fresh berries/ dried fruits/ nuts etc. It was very filling and would keep me going until afternoon.
So when we got back I wanted to make something similar but more hearty and healthy. I found the recipe for this 5-grain cereal in “Cooking Light – Way to Cook Vegetarian” cookbook. Recipe makes about 10-12 servings, I made me a whole batch and stored it in an air tight container in the fridge, this way I can make my bowl of cereal whenever I feel like it.
Five Grain Cereal with Dried Fruit
- 1¼ cups Oats Steel Cut
- ½ cup Wheat Cracked
- ½ cup Oat bran
- 1/3 cup Wheat bran
- 1/3 cup Flax seed
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 2 cups Dried Fruits dried fruits papaya pineapple banana coconut golden raisins - Use whatever you like or have. I had bags of tropical flavored with dried , , and . I also added some . Coarsely chop all the big pieces of fruit.
- Sweetener of Choice - as per taste (optional) (I use agave nectar or maple syrup to sweeten my cereal)
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an air tight container in the fridge and use as needed.
- To make the Cereal: For each serving, add ½ cup dry cereal mix to 1½ cups of water. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add cereal; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stir constantly. Stir in the sweetener (if using) and serve immediately.