These rolls are hearty and have an earthy taste with the addition of oats, wholewheat and ground flax seeds. These are perfect whole grain alternate to the soft and squishy white dinner rolls. They are great to make for cookouts or for your everyday dinner.
They are great to make sandwiches or just spread with some butter. They keep well for a few days when wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature or can be frozen for longer storage.
Flax Oat Wheat Dinner Rolls
- ½ cup Flaxseed Meal
- ½ cup Oats Rolled
- 1½ cups Wholewheat flour
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- 2½ tsps Yeast Instant
- 3 tbsps Honey
- 1½ tsps Salt
- 1½ tsps Egg Water replacer powder whisked in 1½tbsps (or use 1 egg yolk)
- ¼ cup Orange juice
- 3/4 ~ 7/8 cup Water Lukewarm
- Oats Flax seeds As needed Rolled and Whole
- 2 tbsps Soy Almond Milk or (or 1 egg white whisked with 2tbsp water)
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all the ingredients. Mix until cohesive -- cover and set aside for 20 minutes, this will give the whole grains a chance to absorb some of the liquid. Then knead to make a smooth, soft, elastic dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for 1~1½ hours or until the dough is noticeably risen, it will not double in volume.
- Gently deflate the dough and divide into 12 equal size pieces. Shape each piece in to a round ball; using your fingers to pull and flatten each ball into a circle about 3" across.
- Place the buns on a parchment lined (or lightly greased) baking sheet, cover and let rise for about 90 minutes, until noticeably puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the rolls with soy or almond milk (or the egg white) and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake the buns for 21~25 minutes or until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Once completely cooled, wrap the buns tightly and store at room temperature for several days or freeze for longer storage.
- Anadama Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Bulochki (Russian Sweet Yeast Rolls) from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Cinnamon Rolls from Bakingyummies
- Crescent Rolls from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Feta Olive Knots from Food Lust People Love
- Flax Oat Wheat Dinner Rolls from Cook's Hideout
- Einkorn Parmesan and Garlic Rolls from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls from A Baker's House
- Hokkaido Milk Rolls from Baking in Pyjamas
- Kahvalti – Turkish-style Breakfast Buns from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Masala Bread Rolls from Sneha's Recipes
- Mini Cheddar Bialys from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Oatmeal Dinner Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pesto Rolls from Veg Nation
- Raspberry Sweet Rolls from Kylee Cooks
- Savory Cheddar Rolls from Magnolia Days
- Stuffed Vegatable Masala Buns from Spill the Spices
- Twisted Knotted Mint Garlic Rolls from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Wholewheat Low Fat Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls from Sizzling Tastebuds