These Greek mushroom pita are easy to make and absolutely delicious. Roasting mushrooms make this pita sandwich meaty and hearty.
I LOVE mushrooms in any shape or form. The husband is not a big fan of their texture or taste. So I rarely cook them, but recently both the kids have taken a liking to them. I have started looking for new recipes to try for the kids.
All 3 of us unanimously agree that roasted mushrooms are the BEST. They taste earthy and the browned edges are extremely tasty.
We are starting a new week of blogging marathon today and my theme for the week is ‘Countries by Alphabet’. For the first day, I chose Greece for G. Greek cuisine uses a lot of fresh veggies, grains, olive oil and of course fish and meat.
Roasted Mushroom Pita sandwich:
As I previously mentioned, we love mushrooms and roasted mushrooms in particular. So this Greek Mushroom Pita Sandwich is right up our alley. Idea for this came from Jamie Oliver’s IG video for mushroom shawarma. It looked so hearty and delicious with all the different spices.
My version here is much simpler. The mushrooms are roasted with spices until lightly browned around the edges and delicious.
Ingredients to make Vegetarian Greek Pita Sandwich:
The main ingredient obviously is the Mushroom. I used baby bella mushrooms which are exactly what they sound – baby portabella mushrooms. I like the flavor of these and buy them quite often. But white button, portabella or a mix of wild mushrooms can also be used in this recipe.
Other ingredients needed are:
- For Roasting the ‘shrooms:
- Red Onion
- Olive Oil
- Standard middle spices – Ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- For the Pita Sandwich:
- Shredded Lettuce or cabbage
- Yogurt Sauce – Greek yogurt + chopped cucumber + turmeric
Greek Mushroom Pita Sandwich
To Roast Mushrooms:
- 1 lb. Fresh Mushroom, sliced into ½" thick
- 1 Medium Red Onion, sliced in half and cut into ⅓" slices
- 2~3 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½~1 tsp Paprika
- To taste Salt & Pepper
Other Ingredients to make Pita sandwich:
- 4 Pitas
- ½ cup Hummus
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage or Lettuce
- As needed Cucumber, thinly sliced
- As needed Tomato, thinly sliced
For Yogurt Sauce:
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream (optional)
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ cup Cucumber, chopped
- To taste Salt
Roast the Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Place the chopped mushrooms and red onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the spices – ground cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss well to combine and spread in a single layer.
- Bake for 20~25 minutes, stirring midway to evenly bake the mushrooms.
Make Pita Sandwich:
- Briefly warm the pitas on a dry skillet or wrapped in a damp towel in the microwave
- Spread hummus on the warm pita either in the pocket or on the pita itself. Top with shredded cabbage/ lettuce, roasted mushroom, cucumber and tomato. Serve right away!!
More Greek Recipes to try:
Linking this to Valli’s BM# 109 and don’t forget to check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today.