Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Meal Ideas
Dish: Greek style Rice with Dill
Lemon rice is the first thing that comes to my mind when I have leftover rice. In fact I even make lemon flavored oats, barley and quinoa. So today’s recipe is on the same lines but with dried oregano and fresh dill that add delicious Greek flavor to the dish.
Since this is for ‘Meal Ideas’ theme, I served the rice with Greek cucumber & chickpea salad. Both the dishes together make for a balanced meal and they can be made in less than 30 minutes. Recipe for the salad is coming up soon.
Greek Lemony Dill Rice
- 1 cup White Rice Long grain
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 1 Carrot Medium , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely minced
- 1¼ ~ 1½ cups Vegetable broth Water or
- ¼ cup Lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- ½ tsp Oregano Dried
- ¼ cup dill Fresh , finely chopped
- To taste Salt Pepper &
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed medium saucepan, saute onion and carrot until the onion turns translucent, about 4~5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the rice and fry for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the veggie broth or water, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat, stir the rice and cover tightly and cook for about 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat and add dill, fluff the rice with a fork and completely stir in the dill. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!