VeganMofo Day 3: Today’s dish is extremely simple to make and is very healthy and delicious. I love dry sauteed curries because they are made with very few ingredients and you can taste the vegetables used in the dish instead of being overpowered by the spices.
This dish takes less than 30 minutes to cook. The only time consuming part of the dish is chopping the green beans, which luckily I had done earlier while watching a dinosaur movie with my son. Addition of grated coconut is very typical with South Indian dishes and it gives the dish a slightly sweet taste.
Green Beans & Carrot Curry with Coconut
- 3 cups Green Beans - chopped
- 2 Carrot - medium, diced
- 3 tbsps coconut Grated (fresh, frozen or dry)
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 chilies Dry red (use less for milder curry)
- 6 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add both the dals, seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the green beans, carrots and salt. Cover and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender and cooked through, about 12- 15 minutes. (Alternately to expedite the cooking process, microwave/ steam the veggies until tender and then add to the tempering ingredients and cook for 4-5 minutes).
- Add the grated coconut and cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti. This makes a great filling to veggie wraps.