Buffet on Table: Week 1 — Combos from Countries
Day 3: US — Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup
One good thing about this combo is that both the sandwich and the soup can be customized to ones palate. So I took the liberty and made them both with Indian flavors. Skip the green chutney and caramelized onion in the sandwich and you have an all American sandwich.
My son loves grilled cheese sandwich, I think he can eat it for all meals everyday. I make it for him once a week. This Indian style sandwich with green chutney tasted awesome.
Recipe adapted from here:
Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup
- 4 Bread slices
- 1 Tomato Small , thinly sliced
- 1 Onion Small , thinly sliced
- 2 Cheese slices (I used a mix of grated Monterey jack and Cheddar cheeses)
- 2 tbsps Green Chutney - , divided
- 2 tsps Mayonnaise - , divided
- Heat 2tsp oil in a nonstick pan, add the onions and cook on medium flame until browned and caramelized. Make sure not to burn them.
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the bread and top it with caramelized onions, cheese and tomato.
- On the other bread, spread mayo on one side and green chutney on the other side. Place the green chutney side on the tomato and press lightly.
- Cook on a hot nonstick pan pressing lightly. Cook till both sides are golden and toasty and the cheese is melted. Serve hot with the tomato soup.