BM# 76: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Vegetarian Grilling Recipes
Dish: Grilled Halloumi with Quinoa Salad
Today I have a very simple grilling recipe made with Halloumi cheese. The grilled halloumi cheese is served over a quick and delicious quinoa salad. This is my kind of cooking, quick, easy and delicious. There is not much of a recipe here since all you are grilling is the cheese and the rest is made on the stove. Halloumi cheese is a semi-hard cheese that has a very high melting point making it easy to be fried or grilled. It is sometimes called frying cheese too. It is very popular in Greece and Turkey. It is a little hard to find in regular grocery stores, but Whole Foods and Trader Joes carry it. It is similar to Indian paneer, but I find it slightly more saltier and chewier.
As I was looking for grilling recipes, I found this one on thekitchn site. I had all the ingredients, so made it right away. I wasn’t sure my dairy hating husband would like the grilled cheese, but he said he eats it quite often on his travels. He liked my home version and even went for seconds.Adding the grilled halloumi ups the protein in this dish and makes for an excellent filling vegetarian main dish. The quinoa salad has crisp fresh veggies with delicious marinated cucumbers. All in all this is a great dish to make on a week day or even serve for guests.
Grilled Halloumi with Quinoa Salad
- 8 oz. Halloumi Cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups Lettuce leaves, baby kale, arugula or other salad greens
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 Small Cucumber, chopped
- 2 Scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely minced
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the chopped cucumber and scallions. Mix well and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Combine quinoa with 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook till the quinoa is cooked through and tender. Turn off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil and 1tbsp lemon juice. Add cooked quinoa, parsley, mint and chopped lettuce. Toss to evenly coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
- Heat the grill over medium heat and grill halloumi until golden, about 1~2 minutes per side. Squeeze a little lemon juice on the cheese when done.
- Divide the salad between 4 serving plates, top each with 2 slices of halloumi and the marinated cucumbers without the liquid. Enjoy!!