BM# 76: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Vegetarian Grilling Recipes
Dish: Grilled Pound Cake with Berries
Today I have a very simple and delicious dessert with grilled pound cake and berries. You can use a homemade pound cake but if you are pressed for time, it’s absolutely fine to use store bought one. I think I saw pound cake being grilled on a cooking show few years back and it has been on my to-make list ever since.Coming up with a dessert idea for BBQ parties is quite tricky. You either have to plan and make the dessert ahead of time or you can make it right on the grill along with the other dishes. So this grilled pound cake recipe is just perfect because all you need ahead of time is the pound cake (and if you are me, you would go buy good quality pound cake from the store).This dessert cannot be easier to make and it is very easy to customize it to one’s personal taste preferences. If you like lemon flavor, then use lemon flavored pound cake and top it with lemon curd and fresh berries. Grilled chocolate pound cake would be fabulous with some vanilla/ coffee ice cream and a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce.Another idea is to grill some stone fruit like peaches, nectarines or plums and then serve them with the grilled cake. Ice cream on the side wouldn’t hurt 🙂 So there are tons of options, pick what you like and make/ grill it. If you don’t have a grill, I think lightly toasting the cake in a skillet on the stove would give the same effect.
Grilled Pound Cake with Berries Recipe
- 4 slices Pound Cake (Vanilla or lemon flavor preferred)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 cup Frozen Mixed Berries
- 2~3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 cup Fresh Berries, for serving
- Preheat the grill on medium flame.
- While the grill is heating, combine the frozen berries, sugar, lemon juice and 1/4cup of water in a small saucepan. Cook until the mixture starts to simmer. Mash the berries with the back of a spoon.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1tbsp water; add it to the berry mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until the mixture thickens. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Brush the pound cake with the melted butter and place the slices on the hot grill. Make sure to turn the slice a little to get the nice grill marks. Flip and cook on the other side. This takes about 1~2 minutes per side.
- Serve the grilled cake with the berry sauce and more fresh berries on the side. Enjoy!!