It’s time for Bread Bakers and I’m hosting it this month. We are baking bread with fall fruits and vegetables. So anything baked with apples, grapes, pears, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, acorn squash, butternut squash etc. are all welcome. I made this Harvest bread with sweet potato.
This is a very flavorful bread made with mashed sweet potato which gives it a nice golden color and light texture. The starch from the sweet potato keeps the bread fresh longer. Original recipe used roasted and mashed sweet potato, but I microwaved a peeled one and mashed it until smooth — a much quicker and easier alternate.
Recipe is from King Arthur Flour. The addition of warm spices makes it perfect for this time of the year. Bread turned out moist, soft and delicious. I added raisins but skipped the nuts. It is perfect to eat just as is or as a toast with some homemade plum jam. I made grilled cheese sandwich with it and loved the sweet, savory and cheesy taste of this bread.
Harvest Bread with Sweet Potato
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp wheat Vital gluten
- 2 tsps Yeast Instant
- 1½ tsps Salt
- 1 Sweet Potato Small , baked, peeled and mashed
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter , softened
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¾ cup Water
- 3 tbsps Honey
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg Ground
- ¼ tsp Ginger Ground
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Walnuts Pecans or , chopped (I skipped this)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix and knead to form a smooth, supple dough.
- Transfer the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for 60~90 minutes or until the dough is well risen and puffy.
- Shape the dough into to a log and place it in a lightly greased 9"x5" loaf pan. Cover with a greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for 60 minutes until crowned 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35~45 minutes or until a digital thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf registers 190°F. Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out on to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Apple & Olive Oil Boulé from Food Above Gold
- Apple Cider Muffins from A Baker's House
- Apple, Pear and Persimmon Stuffed Brioche from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Baked Cauliflower Breadsticks from Sneha's Recipe
- Broccoli Burger Buns from Herbivore Cucina
- Brown Sugar Pumpkin Apple Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chilli and Cheddar Potato Rolls from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Easy Apple Banana Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Figs Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Harvest Bread with Sweet Potato from Cook's Hideout
- Kartofel Khleb - Russian Potato Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Potato Bread Rolls from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Pumpkin Challah from Passion Kneaded
- Sauerkraut-Nut Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Savoury Potato Rose Rolls from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Spiced Apple Star Bread from Hostess At Heart