Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 2
Bake of the Day: Harvest Grains Loaf
I think the next time I make this bread I will use a higher ratio of wholewheat to all purpose flour. Like I said before this is a very soft and tasty bread that is great toasted for even in a sandwich. I made some potato curry & cheese sandwiches and also Nutella sandwiches with this bread. Both tasted great.
Recipe from King Arthur Flour:
Harvest Grains Bread:
- 2 cups Bread flour Unbleached
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour White
- 1½ tsps Yeast Instant
- 3 tbsps Sugar
- 1½ tsps Salt
- ¼ cup Potato flour (or use cup flakes)
- ¼ cup Milk Nonfat Dry
- 1 tbsp wheat Vital gluten
- 1½ ~ 1¾ Water cupsLukewarm
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix and knead until a smooth, pliable dough is formed.
- Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for 60~75 minutes or until puffy and almost doubled in volume.
- Lightly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- On a lightly greased work surface, gently deflate the dough, and form it into a 9" log. Place the log seam side down in the prepared pan. Cover with a lightly greased wrap and let rise for 60~90 minutes, until it crests about 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35 minutes or until it's light golden and a digital thermometer inserted into the center reads 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven and after a couple of minutes turn it out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool. Slice when the bread is completely cool.