BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 26
Theme of Week 5: Fruit based Desserts
Dish: Hasselback Apples
This dish is the dessert version of hasselback potatoes. Thin slits are made in the apple and then baked with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Once the apple is a partially cooked, the slits are fanned out and spread with a oat crumble topping and then baked till golden on top.
It is important to use apples that are crispy and don’t disintegrate after baking. Honeycrisp or Pink Lady are preferred while Fuji and Grannysmith might fall apart. So picky the appropriate apple variety. This recipe is from Cooking Light magazine.
As I said this is the last post for our month long Cooking Carnival. Hope you enjoyed the series. I’m going to post the recap in couple of days.
- 2 Apples Large Firm (like Pink Lady or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored and halved vertically
- 4 tbsps Brown Sugar , divided use
- 21/2 tbsps Butter , melted and divided
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon Ground , divided
- 2 tbsps Oats Rolled
- 1 tsp All purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream As needed , for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Starting at the outer edge of the apple, cut it almost all the way through each apple at 1/8" intervals.
- Place the apple halves, cut sides down, in an 8" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1tbsp sugar, 1tbsp melted butter and 1/2tsp ground cinnamon; brush mixture evenly over apple.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes or until the apples are tender. Remove pan from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3tbsp sugar, remaining 11/2tbsp melted butter, remaining 1/4tsp ground cinnamon, oats, flour and salt.
- Gently fan the apples to open them. Spoon oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler to high and broil for 2 minutes. Serve with ice cream.