VeganMofo Day 4: Many Indian savory dishes are either Vegan to begin with or can be easily made Vegan by simply substituting very few ingredients. ‘Desserts’ is another story, most of them use ghee (clarified butter) and milk, but come to think of it, these can be veganized easily too. I want to make some traditional Indian desserts – vegan style this festival season (which starts this month with Dasara, yay) and hopefully I can post them for veganmofo.
Today’s dish is simple, healthy and delicious. Radish is not one of our favorite veggies, but I buy it since it has quite a few health benefits. My husband hates the smell and pungent taste of raw radish. So I pressure cooked it with dal and tomato and once done it turned out mellow with no discernible smell or the taste.
Indian Dal with Radish & Tomatoes
- ½ cup Moong dal
- 1 cup Radish - , diced
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 2 tsp Lemon Lime juice /
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Chilies Dry Red
- - 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- Pressure cook dal with radish, tomato, green chili and turmeric until dal is cooked through (I let it go for 5 whistles in my pressure cooker).
- Heat 2tsp oil in a small saucepan, add all the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter and garlic starts to turn golden, add it to the dal mixture.
- Add water to dal if it looks too thick and cook for 5 minutes for all the flavors to come together. Season with salt and squeeze in the elmon/ lime juice.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.