BM# 70: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Bring them on the Burgers
Dish: Indo Chinese Vegetarian Burger
Starting a new week of Blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is ‘Bring on the Burgers‘. For the first day I have a Indo Chinese Vegetarian burger. As the name suggests this burger is made with Indo Chinese flavors.I love sandwiches and burgers. I have a Pinterest board with many vegetarian and vegan sandwich recipes. So that’s where I went looking for burgers there. It was quite a task picking just 3 sandwiches. I wanted to make something unusual and this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s site with Indo-Chinese flavors sounded perfect. Here burger is made with a mix of vegetables and boiled and mashed potato holds everything together. My addition is some soy granules aka TVP to add protein to otherwise carb-rich burger.A spicy chili spread adds a nice flavor punch to the sandwich. Original recipe had a schezwan chili sauce but I made my quick version with store bought chili-garlic sauce. Apart from being a delicious spread, this chili sauce also can be used to top vegetables or tofu.Keeping with all the Indo-Chinese flavors going on in this dish, I kept the toppings simple too, no cheese or tomato, just some alfalfa sprouts, lettuce and chopped scallions. Enjoy this crunchy and delicious burger with some side salad.Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 70.
Indo Chinese Vegetarian Burger Recipe
For Indo-Chinese Burger
- 2 Medium Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed or grated
- 1 Small carrot finely chopped
- 10~12 Green Beans finely chopped
- 1 Small Green Pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Spring Onions (both white and green parts) chopped
- 1 inch-piece ginger finely grated
- 2 Garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup Soy granules (aka TVP) soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, then squeezed dry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1~2 tsp Chili garlic sauce
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour whisked in 2tbsp water
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs I used wholewheat bread crumbs
For Quick Chili Spread
- 1/4 cup Chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Agave Nectar (or brown/white sugar)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 4 Wholewheat Burger Buns Lightly toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup Sprouts
Make the Burger:
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the chopped green onions, ginger and garlic. Cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Next add carrots, green beans, green pepper and cook on medium flame until the veggies are tender, takes about 6~8 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Next add the mashed or grated potato, drained and squeezed dry soy granules. Cook for another 3~4 minutes. Let the mixture cool slightly to make the burgers.
- Once the mixture is cool enough to handle, divide it into 4 equal portions. Form a patty with each portion, press a little bit to hold everything together.
Cook the Burgers:
- Place the flour slurry in a shallow plate and bread crumbs in another plate. Once the burgers are formed, gently dip both sides in the flour mixture and then coat both sides with the bread crumbs. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining burgers.
- Heat a skillet on medium flame. Coat the skillet with 2tbsp oil. Gently put the burgers in the pan and cook for 2~3 minutes. Do not move the burger until the bottom is nicely cooked and turns golden. Flipping the burger too soon will break the burger.
- Once the bottom is golden and set, carefully flip it and cook the other side for another 1~2 minutes. Remove on to a plate and keep ready.
Make the Quick Chili spread
- Combine all the ingredients for the chili spread in a small mixing bowl. Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
- Generously spread the chili spread on both sides of the burger buns. On the bottom bun, place the burger, lettuce leaves, sprouts and some chopped green onions (if desired). Place the top bun, press lightly and Enjoy!!