After making a breakfast & an entree from ready to cook stuff, I decided to make a dessert using the same. I was debating between making an Indian dessert of Western cake. Since I had to make something for the kids for a party last weekend, I decided to make these vanilla cupcakes from store bought cake mix; this way I had a dish for the marathon and kids had something that they like.
It has been years since I bought store bought cake mix. After making the cakes at home from scratch, it somehow does not feel right buying store bought mix. I know they are very convenient, but all the additives in the mix, makes me not want to buy any.
Well for this challenge, I made an exception and since I was running out of time and options to make something for the kids, I decided to buy a cake mix anyway. I used only half the box since the full box (18.5oz) makes 24 cupcakes and I only wanted to make a dozen. I weighed the mix and halved it by weight.
Instructions on the back of the box say to use 3 eggs, 1 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup oil. In order to jazz up the store bought mix, I used milk instead of water and added some extra vanilla extract. Also to them interesting for the kids, I had a little chocolate surprise in the middle. Here’s how I made the cupcakes (I’m giving measurements for 12 cupcakes, please double the ingredients if using the entire box to make 24 cupcakes).
Vanilla Cupcakes made from Cake Mix
- 9.25 oz Cake Mix (store bought or home made)
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 tbsps cocoa Unsweetened powder
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cheese . Mascarpone
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Sugar Confectioners
- a dash Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, beat cake mix, milk, oil and eggs. Mix until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Take about ½cup of the cake batter and add the cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Divide the vanilla batter evenly between the 12 cupcakes.
- Add about 1tbsp of the chocolate batter right in the center of each cupcake.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean or with a very little crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the Frosting: Mix all the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with electric mixer until stiff. Frost the cupcakes either using a piping bag & a tip or just slather the frosting generously over the cupcake. They taste delicious either way.