I saw this pachadi/ chutney recipe made with bitter gourd/ kakarakaya on a cooking show. Recipe is very simple to make and the method of making is quite interesting. Bitter gourd is usually cooked with lot oil for a very long time to reduce the bitterness, but in this recipe it is ground into a coarse paste and then cooked in little bit of oil until it is cooked through.
Kakarakaya Pachadi (Bittergourd Chutney)
- 1 Onion - medium
- 2 tsps Chili powder Red (adjust as per taste)
- 1 ~ 2 tbsps Tamarind paste (adjust as per taste)
- 2 tsps Kosher Salt (adjust as per taste)
- 2 tsp Chana dal
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 2 Chilies Dry Red
- Grind bittergourd, onions, tamarind paste, salt and red chili powder into a paste. If you like texture to your chutney, then coarsely grind it or make it into a smooth paste.
- Heat 3tbsp oil, add the tempering ingredients and once the dals get golden and the seeds start to splutter, add the paste. Turn off the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes thickens and bittergourd is cooked through, about 12~15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.